Have you heard of the Daily Connoisseur? Well, if you haven't, she's awesome. She's all about living life at a higher level. Wear your best clothes, eat off your best dishes, make everyday life something special. It was after watching her Youtube video on eating that I decided to try her advice: eat lunch free from distractions. No phone, no computer, not even a book or magazine. Just sit down, make your table setting look nice, and eat your food. You can play some soft music if desired, but that's it. No other distractions.
The first time I tried this, it was tougher than I thought it was going to be. I had more than one impulse to grab my phone and distract myself. Never before had the business magazine on the lunch room table looked so enticing. But I persevered. I just sat there and ate my quick Thai noodles, canned peaches, and celery.
Now, I'm a day dreamer. Like, seriously. So if I'm left with a period of time where I just get to let my thoughts run wild, they totally will. As I was eating my noodles, I was fantasizing about blogging, and cooking, and how it would be more fun to be eating with someone, and having lunch dates with the people in my office. We'd have lots of great conversations, and get to know each other so well. Of course, it wouldn't be fair for me to make myself something yummy, and not share with my lunch partner, so I dreamed I could make lunch for them too. Then the thought struck me like a lightening bolt right there in the lunch room. A crazy idea that blended all my thoughts into one kooky plan. I would make lunch for someone in my office each week, and blog about it.
As soon as I had thought it, I knew I'd struck a gold mine. This idea was especially great because I needed a way to get to know people at work better. I am the receptionist at my job, and it's imperative for me and my company, that I be the face of the office. That I be the one everyone knows and can feel comfortable around. What better way to get to know someone than at lunch? What better way to give of myself than to make food and share it? Yep. A gold mine.
As I finished the last of my peaches, I was truly in awe. What if I had been on my phone, or skimming magazine pages? I never would have dreamed up my crazy, kooky plan.
I am so excited to embark on this experience and share my findings with you. I hope you have crazy kooky plans too. Not able to come up with any? Well, try eating alone and distraction free sometime. You might just discover your best idea yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment